Monday, March 29, 2010

Life decisions!

First of all I would like to note that almost all of you ladies are residing together in Utah together, and to soothe my jealousy I expect a short report (blog or email) on the whole affair from each and every one of you! Not kidding.

Okay, here's the thing. I thought I wanted to minor in Women's Studies, but the classes I would want to take for it next semester, with the exception of Black Women in America, are all either during other classes I need to take or not offered until Spring.
I need you ladies (especially the college grads) to give me some input. Here are my thoughts:
I want to minor in Women's Studies because a) it'll force me to focus on some non-computer things and therefore possibly prevent me from going insane, b) it's the only way I can get into the Feminist Text seminars, c) it's not that many requirements and might look good on my resume, and d) I think lady times are important.
BUT, my major is pretty intense, and I was hoping to be able to continue taking Hindi, and at the very least a class called Intro to Indian Civ that I've heard really good things about from several people. If I do those things, I definitely won't be able to finish a Women's Studies minor by the end of my four years.
So what do you think? And what are your thoughts generally on majors/minors/how to effectively use and structure your undergraduate college years?

(note--I'm going to see if Barnard will let me design my own MEALAC (Middle Eastern and Asian Language and Cultures) minor in South Asian studies. Am I too obsessed with minoring in something?)

6 comments:

  1. It doesn't seem worth spending an extra semester on, though I love the idea.

    Could you talk to your advisor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that was Liza. Here's what I was gonna say:

    Here is the real idea: find some kindova study abroad sciences thing to Asia. You could totally do that and totally get someone to pay for it. (Girl, computers, Hindi, math, it all adds up.) That could be your thing instead of another semester

    ReplyDelete