Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Briefly

Ok, Anna and I have resolved to work for the next 2 hours before wandering out onto the steps by Low Library to eat our dessert, but I just had to quickly let you all know how the new grocery scheme is working out so far.
Pulled pork was a great success, although I ate almost half of it while waiting for it to be done crock-potting (just because I'd never used this crock pot before and I had to make sure it wasn't, like, a high-tech, super-speedy slow cooker!)
Pasta with mushroom white wine reduction (what exactly classifies a reduction, actually? I just sauteed the mushrooms with garlic and a generous portion of butter, added the wine, and then let it all simmer down until it was a more reasonable consistency and tasted good.)
Made stuffed mushrooms on a whim--stuffing consisted of mushroom stems, bacon (of course), garlic, red onions, parmesan, and lotso Stilton. Divine. Stuffed mushrooms don't really last as long as they should, though, in the sense of you can eat seven of them before you even realize you've begun eating.
And last but not least blueberry syrup--simmered blueberries with water, sugar, and a little bit of cinnamon to eat on Friendly's vanilla ice cream (very corn syrupy, sorry Anna! You all can testify how wary I am of vanilla ice cream, though.) In a stroke of genius we impulsively decided to add a splash of Rose and let it boil down a little more (sounds glamorous, right? It totally was.)
Anyway, now that I've used up a good fifteen minutes of our two hours work time I'll leave you all. I'm excited to read the article Emmy posted and her account of her travels in Tunisia just as soon as I get back from the steps!

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. You wrote that in fiteen minutes? Grrrllld

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, of course, I was thinking about writing it the whole time I was cooking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wrote this comment once already, but it didn't post. what i wanted to say was that i've gone crazy w/ crock pot luv. on sunday made pork chops w/mushroom sauce, monday chicken tortilla soup, culminating w/ tuesday and a coconut lentil dal, which you should definitely make. even cec and lu loved it and lula packed it in their lunches yesterday and they ATE IT. which is a miracle.

    your pulled pork inspired three days of great meals, eve. thx.

    also, i love living life so i can blog about it. makes you strive to do more interesting things.

    ReplyDelete