Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Girl Effect

I've been reading Three Cups of Tea (a little late to the game--sorry), and also looking at the Girl Effect website, and reading about things that Bryn Mawr is doing to try to make the world better for all women and I just thought of something rather obvious:  what are we here at the Lady Times doing about making the world better for women?  I mean, every single one of us does stuff every day to that effect, each in our own small and large spheres, but it seems we could do something more, collectively.  

C'mon ladies.  We've got a lot of brains, power, good looks, creativity and educational privilege amongst us.

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. A collective effort? I have to think more about this... But I like the idea and I'm defs on board with spending some time on a project. I've got some lady times news in the work department (that I'm sure everyone's already sick of hearing about) to share soon, so look forward with great anticipation to a post tomorrow after I turn in my (lady times) paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you Eva!!!! Sometimes it's all I can do, I think to myself, to just survive the day. But then again, I'm not enslaved. I'm not living in poverty. I have an education. What's my problem? On Monday I went to an elementary school to observe a poorly-performing speech language pathologist, and would up spending two hours in a classroom of very cognitively disabled Kinergarten through Second graders (the teaching assistant went home sick leaving the teacher on his own). Little Jethro was having a birthday, and he wore a crown, and one by one each student got to do a dance to a song played on a thumb piano by the teacher. Then we played outside, and then I read to them. It was pretty much my favorite thing. Not lady times, but perhaps a little bit of saving the world times? Anyhow, schools rock.

    ReplyDelete